Translate

Friday 12 July 2024

World Population Day 2024 - To Leave No One Behind, Count Everyone

 To Leave No One Behind, Count Everyone


World Population Day, observed every year on July 11, is a significant occasion dedicated to raising awareness about global population issues. Established by the United Nations Development Programme in 1989, this day aims to highlight the importance of population dynamics and their impacts on sustainable development.


Highlighting Luisa’s Story

We are featuring the story of Luisa, a courageous woman who has faced immense challenges. Luisa has lost a significant number of her babies under five years old due to women's health problems like hepatitis B and the debilitating effects of poverty. The lack of financial resources to overcome life’s challenges has also made it difficult for her to keep all her children constantly in school. Luisa’s story is a poignant reminder of the urgent need to address women's health issues and provide adequate support for those in vulnerable situations.


INTERVIEW


Hello, good evening!

My name is Luiza Dembo João.

Miss How Are you?

I'm fine, thank you very much.

Do you consider yourself a woman living below the poverty line?

Yes, I do not have good financial conditions.

Could you tell us a little about the difficulties you face as a woman?

I face various kinds of difficulties in this poor country that we live in. People are always suffering from poverty, food parcel are always going up (very expensive) and the poor cannot buy.

How is your financial life going?

My financial life is not so good. For example, today if I have a job it is thanks to my aunt who took me in and invited me to work with her in a small snack bar that she opened, we cook lunches and serve the local community in this area.

Do you have higher education?

No, I don't have higher education.

Why didn't you reach this level?

Because I have no financial possibilities, I stopped studying in the 8th grade.

What are the main family difficulties you face due to lack of financial resources?

Well, I face many serious financial difficulties in my family.

Tell us a little about your maternal life. Have you ever encountered difficulties during pregnancy? Have you ever had an abortion or other complications due to lack of funds to look for the best doctors and the best hospitals?

Yes, I have been through these events. My husband doesn't have a good job either, so we're going through a lot of difficulties.

My first daughter, thank God, was born healthy, but my second baby had a problem with hepatitis B, and because of the lack of financial resources on my part, I couldn't go to the prenatal consultation and do all the analyzes to have a healthy pregnancy. My son was born with hepatitis B transmitted by me. I went through many difficulties, there was no way to fight this disease and cure my baby. Unfortunately, my baby passed away.

How many children do you have now?

I now have 5 children.

Were you able to solve the problem of the disease you had?

Yes.

When I became pregnant with my third baby, I was diagnosed with hepatitis B, my family contributed some money that allowed me to treat this disease. I started doing all the consultations and treatment before the baby was born.Thank God I had a healthier pregnancy, when my baby was born he took the vaccine, my relatives helped me a lot with the contribution of money to pay in the hospital. My baby and I have taken all the recommended vaccines, today we are healthy, my baby is 3 years old and is in good health.

How many children have you lost?

I lost 3 children.

Have you lost 3 children due to Hepatitis B?

Yes.

Did you only find out now that you had this disease?

Yes, I just found out now.

Before, you hadn't made this discovery because you weren't making the prenatal check-ups regularly?

Yes, I didn't use to do consultations. Whenever I got pregnant, I didn't usually visit the hospitals because I didn't have money to do the ultrasound, prenatal consultations to find out how the baby was doing, that's why my babies were born sick and died.

Tell us about the job you have now. Is this job a thriving one that allows you to do great things in life or not at all?

This work is more or less, it's not so prosperous, because our kitchen is new, we don't have many customers yet. It would be great if I had another job with a higher salary.

Do your children study?

Yes they study, but...

Haven't you been facing difficulties in paying your children's school fees?

Yes, we have many difficulties. For example, my first daughter is 16 years old, we enrolled her in a school where she is studying medicine. But since she started studying, we have only been able to pay for 2 months, the others until the end of the school year we have not been able to pay, for this reason she runs the risk of not continuing with her studies because her name will not be on the list of finalists.

With other minor daughters it is also the same thing, we find it difficult to pay school fees regularly. The money my husband and I earn is enough for daily consumption, buying food and water. But it is not enough to pay the tuition fees.

So has your financial hardship negatively affected children's lives as well?

Yes, it affects my children very negatively indeed.

And for now, you can't find solutions to solve this problem, other than finding a job with a very high salary?

I can find no solution to my Poverty other than a very high-paying job.

But is finding a job with a very high salary difficult at this time?
Yes, it's true.

Moreover, my husband also does not prosper, he does not have a good salary. We do not have a house, we have been living for 11 years in a small log cabin, we have large land but we are not able to build due to lack of financial resources.

Alright, thank you very much.


  • Our Commitment to Women’s Empowerment and Health
  • This day underscores the critical need to prioritize women's health, education, and empowerment as central to achieving sustainable development and ensuring a better future for all. Women’s reproductive health and the associated risks, especially in the context of overpopulation trends, are paramount issues that need urgent attention.
  • At our female platforms, we are deeply committed to the empowerment of all women, ensuring that no one is left behind. Our mission is to create spaces where women can share their stories, experiences, and challenges, fostering a community of support and growth. We focus on critical issues such as women's reproductive health, the risks of maternal mortality, and the impacts of overpopulation.
  • The Importance of Women’s Reproductive Health

    Women’s reproductive health is a cornerstone of gender equality and sustainable development. Addressing the risks associated with maternal mortality, improving access to healthcare, and providing education on reproductive health are crucial steps in empowering women and ensuring their well-being. Overpopulation trends further exacerbate these challenges, making it even more critical to invest in comprehensive health solutions.

    Call to Action

    On this World Population Day, let us renew our commitment to women's empowerment and health. Let us work together to create a world where every woman has the opportunity to reach her full potential, without any barriers. By investing in women and girls, we invest in a brighter, more equitable future for all.

    Join Us

    Join us in celebrating World Population Day 2024 by visiting our platforms and engaging with the stories of incredible women like Luisa from around the world. Together, we can make a difference, ensuring that every woman's voice is heard and valued.

Did you know?

  • More than 40 per cent of women around the world cannot make decisions on sexual and reproductive health and reproductive rights.
  • As few as one in four women across low- and middle income countries are realizing their desired fertility.
  • A woman dies every two minutes due to pregnancy or childbirth (and in conflict settings, the number of deaths is twice as high).
  • Nearly one third of women have experienced intimate partner violence, non-partner sexual violence or both.
  • Just six countries have 50 per cent or more women in parliament.
  • More than two thirds of the 800 million people globally who cannot read are women.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

A Successful Conclusion to the Free-Plastic Ocean and Sustainable Fishing Campaign

By Sofonie Dala September 25, 2022 Greetings from Angola! I am Sofonie Dala, and today marks the completion of our #Plastic_Free_Oceans docu...