Translate

Wednesday 1 June 2022

How spinal surgery inspired a Nigerian-American writer

 The award-winning Nigerian-American writer, who first wrote Black Panther’s T’challa character, said ;The Conversation programme that she started writing fiction “late” at the age of 20 during a “very pivotal moment” in her life.



“I was mainly an athlete and I loved the sciences and I loved reading, but that was as far as it went”, Nnedi Okafor said.

At the age of 19 Okafor has spinal surgery for severe scoliosis and was “mysteriously paralysed”. Doctors didn’t know if she “would ever walk again”, she recalled.

It was during her stay in hospital that she got what she described as a “spiritual” inspiration to write.

“I was in a lot of pain, I was in shock,” she said. “I had this book, I had a copy of Isaac Asimov’s I, Robot, and I was in too much pain to read it, and so I just started telling myself this story around the edges of the words.”

Okafor said visiting Nigeria in her childhood was what inspired her stories: “Those trips had a huge effect on everything, on who I am, how I perceive the world and how I imagine”.

She describes her writing genre as Afrofuturism and afro jujuism, which she defines as a “subcategory” of science-fiction rooted in African culture. Meanwhile afro jujuism is a “subcategory” of fantasy and weaves in African spirituality, she said.

She said there is a “long way to go” when it comes to diversity in publishing.

“I remember when my first novel and my second novel came out it was still a controversial, risk-taking thing for publishers to even put a person of colour on the cover, and I remember there being a discussion about that.”

Okafor is a recipient of the World Fantasy, Hugo and Nebula Awards. Her books have strong female leads and draw inspiration from her Nigerian roots. She has written 23 books and seven comics.

DNT News

……………………………………………………………

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Tell me about Sofonie Dala - entrepreneur philanthropist

Entrepreneur philanthropist Sofonie Dala, the founder of the digital startup "Talentos Multiplus," emerges as a beacon of innovati...