Translate

Saturday 12 March 2022

The female mechanics breaking barriers in Tanzania



Two Tanzanian women are challenging traditional gender roles in the auto mechanics industry.


Mwasiti Salum and Catherine Kimaro work in the coastal city of Dar es Salaam where majority of the mechanics are men.

The society is yet to accept female mechanics but the two are slowly changing their views.

“I once met a woman whose car had broken down on the road. I offered to help telling her I was a mechanic but she insulted me instead of accepting my help,” Ms Kimaro

She says there is a lot of money to be made in the automotive repairs industry.

“My father convinced me to join this field after seeing the opportunities that were there,” Ms Salum said.

The two women have faced sexual harassment at work which they said was common in most male-dominated fields in the country.

……………………………………………………………

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Tell me about Sofonie Dala - entrepreneur philanthropist

Entrepreneur philanthropist Sofonie Dala, the founder of the digital startup "Talentos Multiplus," emerges as a beacon of innovati...