Translate

Sunday 28 February 2021

Where the Heck Do Stars Really Keep Their Awards?



On mantles, in closets, in bathrooms? Oh my! Oscar-, Golden Globe, Tony-, Grammy- and Emmy-winning stars share the unique spots they've chosen to house their impressive hardware.

Of all the spectacular features on offer at John Legend and Chrissy Teigen's on-the-market eight-bedroom Beverly Hills home, one is a true trophy piece. 

Just to the left of the musician's beloved Yamaha piano is an entire set of shelves installed to house the family's impressive collection of awards. Legend's 11 Grammys, a Tony, an Oscar, a Golden Globe and an Emmy—the last of which was added to the tippy-top shelf just hours after he received it in 2018 for his work as the titular savior in Jesus Chris Superstar—are all accounted for.

But the honors aren't his alone. Teigen's trophy from when she was named one of Glamour's Women of the Year is on display, as is the plastic bauble her mom Pepper received for surviving the Hot Cheetos and Takis Fuego Challenge.   

Though with the ledges overflowing, Teigen has accepted that some of her accolades may have to find a new home, the model-cookbook author-television host-entrepreneur joking ahead of Legend's Emmy victory, "If he wins, he will complete his EGOT and my spike tv award will probably be moved. But it's ok I AM SO PROUD!"

And she's not alone in searching for a spot to house her hardware. Not all stars have a trophy case or mantle or even a shelf dedicated to their achievements. 

Some celebs see their award behavior as an act in humility, stashing their Tony or Grammy or Golden Globe or even Oscar in the, uh, s--tiest of places. Others have passed it off to their parents, either as a show of gratitude for all the work they put in to helping achieve their dreams or because they don't quite trust themselves to be responsible for its safekeeping. And, actually, a few aren't entirely sure where their statuettes are at the moment. 

But they've all got a story. So before the trophies get handed out at the Feb. 28 Golden Globe Awards, see what happened after these stars thanked the Academy, the Hollywood Foreign Press and a room full of their couture-clad peers.


Reese Witherspoon

Now that's a statement necklace. Though the Walk the Line lead flirted with the idea of turning her 2005 Best Actress Oscar into a piece of jewelry or a very showy door knocker, "Neither one of those options was very practical," the star, who nabbed a Golden Globe for the same role, admitted to People. "I just keep it in my living room." 




Goldie Hawn

Any time the actress needs to clear her head, she pays a visit to the statue she claimed in 1970 for her supporting role in Cactus Flower. "My award is in the room where I study and practice meditation," she explained to InStyle in 2005. "Sometimes it's on the mantel, sometimes I put it away." Which makes sense, you know, out of sight, out of mind...

Gina Rodriguez

The Jane the Virgin lead has a unique you-break-it-you-buy-it policy regarding the Golden Globe she won for her work on the CW hit in 2015. "It lives on my TV stand. In the box," she told People. "Any time someone comes over, it's the first thing they ask." And while she's happy to show it off, she admitted she gets nervous each time someone picks it up. "I go, 'Why are you holding it like that?! Be careful! If you drop it I'll have your first child!'"


Dustin Hoffman

Be he ever so humble, at first, the two-time Oscar winner didn't want to set out the statues he'd picked up in 1980 for Kramer vs. Kramer and 1989 for Rain Man. By the early aughts, though, he told InStyle that they'd earned a place on his study's mantle next to his six Golden Globes (including 1997's Cecil B. DeMille Award). "What made me change?" he asked. "Probably years of therapy! I am proud of them, but they are not what propels me in my work."


Jamie Foxx

Blame it on the vodka, blame it on the Henny, blame it on the blue top that got you feeling busy, but Foxx didn't feel entirely comfortable keeping his 2004 Oscar for Ray at his 40-acre California estate. "My manager holds the Oscar. He keeps it at his crib," the actor told InStyle. "I got too much traffic at my house!"

Jennifer Hudson

And she is telling you, she's not going...to stand for any touching of the trophy. "Where I come from, no one has ever seen an Oscar," the Chicago native told InStyle of her 2007 prize for Dreamgirls. "So I let people take pictures with it—but I do not allow them to touch it. Sorry, no touching the Oscar! It's the ultimate honor, and I need to protect it." Not to mention, give the hardware its proper due: The 13.5-inch piece sits atop its own pedestal, said Hudson, "that I keep lit."


Kevin Costner

After Costner finally got over his fear that someone might walk off with the two Oscars he won for Dances With Wolves in 1991, he retrieved them from his underwear drawer and built them a home inside his screening room. Calling it the "perfect spot," he told InStyle, "As you go to my screening room, you pass posters of movies that have influenced me (Gone With the WindLawrence of ArabiaBridge on the River Kwai). And it feels appropriate that you have to see a movie to see them."

Sean Combs

Wait, you don't have a Sunday Room? Because that's where Puff has placed his three Grammys. For those not in the know, he told Us Weekly, it's "this room that just feels intimate, that just feels like it would be the perfect place to do a photo shoot reading the New York and L.A. Times on a Sunday. I don't get to use it a lot, but I fantasize a lot about myself being calm enough to sit down and read the papers and have some coffee and just act really sophisticated and look up at my Grammys. I just haven't gotten to doing that part of it yet."

Audra McDonald

TBH, when you have six Tony Awards it can be kinda tough to keep track. "Eh, they're spread out around the house," she admitted to Broadway Roulette in 2017. Between them, she and husband Will Swenson "have four kids and two dogs—and the oldest kid is 16 and the youngest kid is 6 months—so you can imagine all of the stuff that's around our house! We still have more Tony Awards than kids, but we have many more Legos than Tony Awards."


Nicole Kidman

The Big Little Lies star literally couldn't give her two Emmys away. Winning in 2017 for both producing and acting, the actress offered up her precious metals to daughters Sunday and Faith. "I was like, 'OK, I can put one on your shelf, Sunday, and one on your shelf, Faith, and they're yours,'" Kidman recalled on Jimmy Kimmel Live. Except her then-10-year-old wasn't having it. "Sunday didn't want it,'" she continued. "She said, 'Oh, I want to earn my own.' I'm like, 'You go, girl!'"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Tell me about Sofonie Dala - entrepreneur philanthropist

Entrepreneur philanthropist Sofonie Dala, the founder of the digital startup "Talentos Multiplus," emerges as a beacon of innovati...